I am super pumped about this tart recipe. As much as I love savory recipes there is something about making a beautiful dessert. It is good for the soul and super fun to photograph. Luckily, this tart recipe is just about as wholesome as you can get. It won’t leave you feeling like you need a nap after you eat it.
I have a special place in my heart for hazelnuts. I think that they just have an amazing flavor and combined with apples it is a match made in heaven. I also have an obsession for the combination of apple and dark chocolate. I started eating apples with almond butter and dark chocolate a couple years ago as a treat and I fell in love with the flavor.
I decided to combine all of my favorite flavors in one festive fall tart. These tarts are a perfect dessert for upcoming holiday parties and dinners.
- 2 Cups roasted hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp palm shortening (spectrum)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp applesauce, unsweetened
- 3lbs apples, cored and peeled (your favorite kind)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp ghee, grass-fed butter or palm shortening
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 oz dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and puree until you have a fine meal texture. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend until the mixture starts forming a ball.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator and let chill for 15-20 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling prepare the apple filling. Peel and core the apples and slice them in to moon shaped sliver about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the apples in a large bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients and toss to combine.
- Grab a large baking sheet and cover with parchment paper. Pour the apple filling on to the pan and let them roast for 10-15 minutes or until apples have softened.
- While the apples are baking prepare the tart crust and remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Grease 6 4.75 inch tart pans with palm shortening or coconut oil. Use about 3 tablespoons of dough and evenly press the batter on the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is starting to brown. You want the crust par baked but not completely done.
- Assemble the tarts by placing the apple slivers in a circular fashion. Continue until the entire apple filling has been divided among the six mini tarts.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the top of the tarts with melted butter, ghee or palm shortening.
- Bake the tarts for another 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with melted chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
- Let them cool for about 5 minutes and then serve while still warm.
- Tarts are great served with ice cream while still warm!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $12.99Was: $15.52