If you have been following me on Instagram you would know that I have been on the hunt for the perfect French toast. It is one of my favorite brunch foods and I haven’t had one I have liked in over two years. I tried several variations of bread and finally found the perfect one made with Otto’s Cassava Flour. This bread is grain-free, nut-free and dairy-free.
My favorite part of this recipe is sprinkling the toast with Primal Palate Cinnamon Sugar Cookie spice while it is frying. It gives the toast the perfect sweet and caramelized crust. Reminds me of some cinnamon toast crunch cereal.
You can serve this toast with some syrup, pecans and some delicious coconut whipped cream!
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup coconut or avocado oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk, full-fat
- ¼ cup maple or honey
- 1 cup otto’s cassava flour
- 1 Tbsp grain-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6-8 – 1 inch slices
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tsp Primal Palate Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 1lb loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites in to two large bowls and set the whites aside.
- Add the oil, milk and honey to the egg yolks and whisk thoroughly.
- Add all off the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk thoroughly.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Add half of the egg white mixture to the batter and thoroughly whisk.
- Fold the rest of the egg white mixture to the batter and carefully fold it in to the batter until combined.
- Pour in to the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until browned and loaf is starting to crack.
- Let cool for a few minutes and carefully flip the bread on to the cooling rack and let cool completely. Store bread in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Heat a large skillet with coconut oil over medium high heat and slice the bread in to 1 inch thick bread slices and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or plate and coat both sides of the bread with egg mixture.
- Place the French toast in the skillet and let fry for about 2 minutes and sprinkle about ¼ tsp cinnamon sugar on one side of the bread and then flip and fry the other side.
- Repeat until both sides have been fried with cinnamon sugar and bread is caramelized and crispy.
- Repeat process until all the slices of bread are gone. Serve with syrup, pecans and coconut whipped cream.
- If you don't have access to the cinnamon sugar mixture you can easily leave it out.