I love a good Kale and Roasted Butternut Salad with Balsamic Dressing. There is something so delicious and satisfying about this combination. This is a pretty simple recipe and perfect for the winter months since it utilizes a lot of seasonal vegetables.
I have a small confession about my cooking relationship with balsamic vinegar. I find that I go through obsessive phases with it. I will go through a long stretch out time where I will use it in everything and then I go through phases where I basically completely forget about it. Well I am in the – “I am obsessed” rotation. I may just need to go ahead and apologize for how many recipes I have coming that use it. Here’s hoping you are just as obsessed.
Sometimes it can be difficult to keep salads interesting and delicious so I am often trying out new ways to make them. That usually entails just putting a ton of other vegetables in it. One of my personal favorites is roasted potatoes because it makes me feel like I am eating French fries on my salad. This time I thought I would use something lighter and roast up some butternut. The sweet flavor of the squash is really the perfect complement to the bitter greens.
Feel free to get creative and add any of your favorite salad toppings!
- 2.5 cups butternut, cubed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 8 cups kale, ribs removed and chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 apple sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the cubed butternut in salt, garlic and oil. Roast for 25 minutes or until slightly softened and caramelized.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a jar and place a lid on top and shake to combine. Set aside
- Add the chopped kale to a large bowl and drizzle a few tablespoons of dressing on top and massage/knead the leaves until tender and softened.
- Add the pecans, roasted butternut and sliced and serve. Top with more dressing if desired.