This Brussels Sprouts Salad with Fennel Garlic Vinaigrette has become a recent obsession of mine and mostly because I can’t get enough of fennel these days. Something about that little vegetable just has me completely hooked. I can’t wait until it is in season again. I foresee an epic ice cream recipe in my future….get excited.
Anyway, back to the salad. Everyone has a very strong opinion of Brussels sprouts. My husband refers to them as “alien heads.” FYI – that is not a term of affection. I tend to like them but every once in a while they can be a little bitter and not my favorite vegetables.
Over time I have learned that I really prefer them to be raw over cooked. I like to grate them or slice them really thin and combine with vinaigrette. I think the key is finding a good balance with the dressing and including a certain level of sweetness to combat the bitterness of the Brussels. I usually try to leave any type of sweetener out of my homemade dressing but this one has a little bit of maple to keep all the flavors balanced.
I also would like to point out that my husband loved this salad so all the Brussels Sprout haters out there at least need to give this salad a try.
- 1lb Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp fresh fennel, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Shred the Brussels sprouts with a sharp knife or run through the grater of a food processor and add to a large bowl with the apples and pecans.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a jar and place a lid on top and she vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.