I am just way beyond excited for this recipe. I realize I probably say that a lot but it really is the truth. It is officially tomato season in Tennessee and that is basically like Christmas day around our house.
We are lucky to have access to literally the world’s best tomatoes from our CSA Bloomsbury Farm. The amount of tomatoes we eat during the summer months is kind of ridiculous and awesome.
Last year I created a Goat Cheese Tomato Tart that was amazing! I decided this past week that I really wanted to create a vegan version for people who can’t tolerate dairy very well (me included). I have had vegan cream cheese before from the store and to be perfectly honest I have thought all of them were disgusting.
I really wanted to like them but really just didn’t. So when I endeavored to make my own I really didn’t have high hopes I would be able to do it. Guess what?! This cream cheese is AMAZING! It tastes like legit cream cheese and I don’t say that lightly. Even my husband who still eats regular cream cheese was blown away at how good it is.
Tomato and cream cheese is really a classic combination. I decided to add a little bit of mayonnaise to the cream cheese to give a creamier texture and compliment the tart flavor. I used the Sir Kensington Fabanaise for this recipe. I prefer not to eat soy and I don’t tolerate eggs very well so their product is the perfect options for me. If you eat eggs feel free to just use your favorite clean mayonnaise brand.
This is really the perfect recipe to use with your best summer tomatoes.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked (see notes)
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (I prefer Sir Kensington)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil, fresh
- 1 Tbsp chopped oregano, fresh
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground flax + ¼ cup water (vegan egg)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Combine all of the cream cheese ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Scoop in to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the crust.
- Combine the ground flax and the water in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease 6 mini tart pans.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, garlic and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flax egg and olive oil and mix until combined. It should easily form in to a ball. If too dry then add a little more water.
- Divide the dough among the tart pans. It should be about two tablespoons per tart and press in the bottom and up the edges.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool completely.
- Remove the crust from the tart pan and spread cream cheese on the bottom and top with sliced tomatoes.
- You can soak the cashews overnight or quick soak them. Place the cashews in a small saucepan and fill with water until cashews are fully submerged. Bring the water to boil and then take off the heat and place a lid on the saucepan and let cashews soak for a minimum of one hour. Drain them in to a colander and then rinse.
- I used the Sir Kensington Fabanaise for this recipe. I prefer not to eat soy and I don’t tolerate eggs very well so their product is the perfect option for me. If you eat eggs feel free to just use your favorite clean mayonnaise brand.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $12.99Was: $15.52
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $189.99Was: $364.03