I am barely getting this recipe up in time before berry season ends. That is a serious food blogging fail right there. Sadly, I don’t even have a good excuse for it. Life just happens.
Summer is always a lot of fun but I also really love routine and I am looking forward to things getting back to normal. I am also dying for cool weather and sweaters. Anyone else out there just ready for fall to be here?
Okay, back to the recipe. I wanted to create a delicious but also light dessert filled with ALL the fresh berries. I decided that a vegan cream cheese would be a great complement to this. One thing I really love about making a cashew based cream cheese is that it is not as heavy as the traditional dairy one.
It really came together so beautifully with the crust not being too sweet and the cream cheese being just tart enough and then it is all topped with perfectly sweet berries. This is the perfect dessert for the people in your life who prefer fruit over chocolate desserts. I am married to one of those people so he was ecstatic when I made these.
Feel free to get creative with the recipe and add any of your favorite fruit toppings
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked (see notes)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp palm shortening
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 6 ounce package of raspberries
- 6 ounce package of blackberries
- 6 ounce package of blueberries
- Place the soaked cashews in a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until mixture is smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a small bowl combine the flax seeds and water and place in the refrigerator to set for 10-15 minutes to make the flax egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease six mini tart pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda and salt and whisk together. Add the palm shortening and use a fork or your hands to mix in the shortening until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the flax egg and maple and mix until mixture forms in to a loose ball. Use about 1.5 – 2 Tbsp of dough per tart pan and press the dough on the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and then remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Fill each tart with the cooled cream cheese filling and top with an assortment of your favorite berries.
- You can soak the cashews overnight or quick soak them. Place the cashews in a small saucepan and fill with water until cashews are fully submerged. Bring the water to boil and then take off the heat and place a lid on the saucepan and let cashews soak for a minimum of one hour. Drain them in to a colander and then rinse.
- The cream cheese is meant to be a little softer and fluffier like whipped cream rather than super thick.
- Feel free to adjust berries to your personal preference.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $13.99Was: $15.52