Winter squash season is finally here and I can’t get enough of this Chicken Romano Stuffed Squash. Is there really a better season than fall? I am just going to answer that for you and say….NO! So here is the thing about stuffed acorn squash. I really love it but my husband is not a fan. He seriously loves all of the food I make…..except stuffed squash. I really don’t understand it. It is squash with deliciousness inside but he just never likes it and I think it is weird. I realize this is probably an unnecessarily long explanation of my husband’s hatred of stuffed squash but I promise there is a point to this and that is….HE LIKED THIS RECIPE…..(*cue hallelujah music).
Seriously though – this is kind of a big deal. So if you have a spouse or if you yourself are hesitant about stuffed squash I think that you need to give this recipe a try. I mean, it has cheese in it and that basically makes all of life better.
- 3 Acorn squash, seeded and halved
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup grated romano cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup broth/stock
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and then brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the squash for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Add all of the filling ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Scoop about ½ cup of filling in to each acorn squash and then bake for another 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is hot. Serve immediately