If you haven’t noticed I am on a major chipotle and beet kick and I don’t see that stopping anytime soon. There is something about the smoky and earthy flavors that I just really love right now.
This salad is really a celebration of summer for me. I really love to eat seasonally and I was really inspired after we went to the market on Saturday to make this dish.
The base of the salad is made with some golden beets, yellow squash and some beautiful summer tomatoes. It is all topped with a smoky and slightly sweet chipotle dressing. If you have had some of my cauliflower steaks the pesto on that is very similar to the dressing on this salad. SO good!
This salad can really be modified to your personal liking. My husband requested I triple the tomatoes next time I make it (he really loves tomatoes). So feel free to adjust the amount if you prefer more or less of one of the salad ingredients. The golden beets are really the bulk of this dish.
You can easily make this ahead of time and eat on it for a couple days. I would just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and know that you may need to add a little more dressing.
- 2 cups cilantro, fresh
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5 whole chipotles in adobo sauce (see notes)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 medium golden beets, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1.5 tsps sea salt, divided
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced and halved
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the beets about ¼ inch thick (I like to use a mandolin) and divide them among 2 baking sheets. Divide the sliced squash between the two pans.
- Drizzle the olive oil and salt evenly between the two pans and roast the vegetables for about 8 minutes or until they are softened. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add the cilantro and garlic to a food processor or blender and pulse in to coarse pieces. Add the chipotle and pulse again.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and pulse until everything is combined.
- Add the beets, squash and tomato to a large bowl. Toss with about ¼ cup of dressing and let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Top with pecans before serving and more dressing if desired.
- If you don’t like a lot of heat I would reduce the number of chipotles in the dressing.
- You may have leftover dressing but I find that the salad begins to soak up the dressing so you may need to add more later. I would just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $31.99Was: $75.00