Carrot Cake is easily one of my favorite desserts EVER! I love the combination of spice, sweet carrots and decadent cream cheese frosting.
I wanted to create a lighter version of this dessert with a gluten-free base and cashew cream cheese.
I try to limit my dairy intake so creating a cream cheese from cashews seemed like the perfect way to top this cake. Cashews are incredibly versatile and I love to use them to make some decadent, dairy-free desserts. Have you had my pumpkin cheesecake? Ah! It is good. I will say that I LOVE this frosting but it is not exactly like the real deal. The consistency will be a little thinner than regular cream cheese but it is still sure to satisfy. If you are feeling like you need the real deal feel free to substitute your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe.
About a month ago I ran a poll on instagram asking if you would want this recipe in a sheet cake or cupcake form. I was SO surprised to get a unanimous vote for a sheet cake. I don’t blame you though. I love how easy it is to throw together a sheet cake. I mean – so much easier than cupcakes.
Anyway, I think I should stop rambling about the cake. Time to get baking people.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1.5 cups arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 1 ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup milk (I used coconut milk)
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups cashews, soaked (see notes)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut cream (thick part on top of the can)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add all of the cream cheese frosting ingredients to a blender and blend until mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and let set in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan. Set aside
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add the palm shortening and sugar to a large bowl and beat with hand or stand mixer for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the milk and the shredded carrots and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until everything is incorporated. Add the pecans and mix.
- Pour the batter in to the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once the cake has cooled spread the cream cheese frosting on top and garnish with more pecans if desired.
- You can soak the cashews overnight or heat a small saucepan to medium-high heat and add the cashews and fill with water. Bring to a boil and then take off the heat and place a lid on top. Let soak for 1-2 hours. Drain and rinse with water before using.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $5.47Was: $5.98