I am currently writing up this recipe on our way to Chicago. I actually think they are going to make me put my laptop away soon. NOOO….I want to finish this. Maybe they will let me finish up but it doesn’t look like. I have been editing the pictures for this post for the past 30 minutes and now I am completely starving and stuck on a plane. So there’s that….
Let’s talk some about these waffles. They are based off a traditional zucchini bread recipe. They are full of grated zucchini, flavorful spices and just a whole lot of deliciousness.
I decided to use Otto’s Cassava Flour as the base for these waffles. I really really love the texture of cassava flour and it always lends a super crispy waffle on the outside that is just asking to be drenched in butter and maple syrup. Okay – so you don’t have to do that but waffles with butter and syrup are kind of my kryptonite.
I really wanted to get a recipe up on the blog with some zucchini since it has been in season. Produce in season is always better and I love the flavor and texture it gives to these waffles. Also, you can take comfort in the fact that your waffles have vegetables in them. Just kidding – I don’t need to justify my waffle consumption ;).
These really are a great weekend treat. You can easily freeze and reheat the waffles too.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut)
- ¼ cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup otto’s cassava flour
- Chopped Pecans
- Grate the zucchini and then use a paper towel to squeeze out some of the excess water and set aside.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine everything. Add the zucchini, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt and mix until just combined.
- Add the baking soda and cassava flour and mix until combined.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for your waffle maker.
- I use a large Belgian waffle maker (this one). This recipe yields about 8-10 waffles for me but it can vary according to the size of your waffle maker.
Products from Amazon.com