This Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup has been on repeat all winter long at our house. It very well may be my favorite soup and that says a lot because I consider myself quite the soup fanatic.
Not only is this soup incredibly nourishing but it is packed full of flavor and incredibly easy to make. This has been a dish I have made a lot the past couple months for meal prep. It is the perfect make ahead dinner or lunch.
I don’t know if any of you have ever eaten at Tazikis but this soup was kind of inspired by the one that they sell. I just wanted to create a healthier, homemade version.
Now this lemon chicken and rice soup has some serious lemon flavor. Everyone has a personal preference when it comes to the amount of citrus in a soup so if you are more shy with the lemon flavor I would recommend reducing the amount and tasting it as it cooks. You can always adjust the amount to your taste.
I personally love a lot of lemon in this chicken and rice soup but my husband prefers it a little more mellow. It is up to you. Taste as you go and adjust according to your personal preference.
If you are looking for a low-carb option you can use cauliflower rice in place of regular or just serve without any rice.
Okay, enough about my favorite lemon chicken and rice soup.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons (or more to taste)
- 8 cups broth
- 3.5 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2-3 cups cooked rice (optional)*
- Heat oil in large dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, carrots and bell pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and broth and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust salt and lemon if necessary and then serve while hot. Top with rice if desired.
- If you are looking for a low-carb option you can use cauliflower rice in place of regular or just serve without any rice.
Products from Amazon.com