This Beef Short Rib with Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes is just so dreamy. I realize that may be a weird way to describe this dish but I am just kind of obsessed with how these images turned out. I also have a slight obsession with spicy sweet potatoes so these chipotle smashed sweet potatoes are one of my absolutely favorite sides right now.
I used boneless short ribs for this dish but you can definitely substitute for bone in. It is just what I had available to cook with because we received them in our Butcher Box order.. I would just increase the weight some to make up for the difference.The sweet potatoes definitely have a good amount of kick to them so if you are sensitive to spicy foods I would definitely reduce the amount of chipotle.
This meal would really be the perfect dish for a dinner party at the house. You could let the short ribs slow cook and make up the sweet potatoes ahead of time and this would really be thrown together in no time. If you don’t have access to short ribs you can easily substitute for a brisket or some type of roast.
- 2lbs (4 pieces) boneless short ribs (ordered ours on Butcher Box)*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups bone broth or beef stock
- 1.5-2lbs Sweet Potato, cut in to 4 large pieces
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk or cream
- 2 Tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Julienned Jicama
- Preheat oven to 350 and heat a large enamel or cast iron Dutch oven on the stove to medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle the rub on the short ribs and rub it on to the meat.
- Place the short ribs in the hot oil and sear for 2-3 minutes a side and then remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes and then add the broth.
- Place the short ribs back in the dutch oven and put a lid on it and let it slow cook in the oven for 2.5-3 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
- Heat a large pot of water to medium-high heat and add the sweet potatoes and let boil for 25-30 minutes or until they are softened. Drain the potatoes in to a colander and let cool slightly. Remove the peel and then put the sweet potatoes in to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, coconut milk, cilantro, chipotles, garlic and salt and mash the mixture with a hand or stand mixer and mix until creamy.
- Add some smashed sweet potatoes to a small cast iron skillet or server (optional) and top with the short rib, jicama, cilantro, jalapeno and lime.
- You can also use bone-in short ribs but you may need closer to 3 pounds since the bone adds weight.