I originally created this recipe for my lamb roast recipe in the Easter Brunch post. The reason I like chutneys so much is because they lend an element of sweetness to something savory without being crazy sweet. They are also perfect for spring and summer dishes.
Although this goes really well with lamb it would also be great on chicken, pork or beef.
- 1 lb blackberries
- ¾ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ tsp ginger, freshly grated
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 grinds, fresh black pepper
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions and let them cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the balsamic, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper and stir. Add the blackberries and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up the blackberries.