Where has chocolate eggnog been my entire life?!?! Seriously! Whoa! To be honest, I have never been a huge eggnog fan. It has always been to thick and sweet for my taste. My husband absolutely LOVES eggnog and I have been telling him for a while that I wanted to make a chocolate one with no eggs. All week long he has been telling it is a crime against Christmas to make eggnog with no egg and that I couldn’t do it. Well we finally came to an agreement. I told him he could make a batch with eggs and I would make a chocolate one without eggs. Well my batch turned out AMAZING! It tasted like a rich spiced and spiked chocolate milkshake…and my husband’s batch of eggnog turned out tasting like dirt water. It was hard for me not to burst out laughing after how many times he told me I couldn’t make eggnog without egg.
This really is a unique twist on a classic holiday beverage. It is a perfect mixture of a decadent dessert and traditional spiced Christmas flavors. The chia in this mixture replaces the egg as the thickening agent. If blended at a high spend the chia seeds should be completely dissolved. However, if you are not concerned about the thickness it is possible to make it without the chia. It will not change the flavor of the drink but will change the texture.
The rum is not necessary in the drink but it really does enhance the flavors. I would highly recommend giving it a try.
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces spiced rum, optional
- Combine the chia seeds and milk of choice in a bowl and let the mixture set until the seeds have absorbed the liquid. It should take a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Take two tablespoons of the chia mixture and all the other ingredients, except the rum, in a blender and blend on high until mixture is smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator until mixture is cold. Approximately 4-5 hours.
- Put six ounces of eggnog into a glass and thoroughly mix with two ounces of spiced rum if desired. Top with freshly grated nutmeg and chocolate.