One thing that I have been working on in our house the past several months is slowing down and enjoying our meals. Life is busy and in my opinion it sometimes is too busy for our own good and health. I’ve talked to my husband a lot about wanting food to be enjoyed and not just something we check off the list. I don’t want it to be another added stressor in our life. I think that enjoying food, eating healthy foods, and not stressing out about food leads to cultivating a much healthier relationship with it. As much as I strive for this to be a part of our life, it most definitely doesn’t always happen. There are weeks that we are too busy and my dream of sitting down and enjoying every meal is not an option. I try my best to be prepared for busy days so I don’t end up hungry or in a position to eat something that I don’t tolerate well.
One of my go-to smoothies is a “fat” smoothie. I call it that because I try and combine a bunch of healthy fats to keep me energized and full for a long period of time. The only fruit I add is lime juice, lime zest and avocado. It keeps the sugar content very low so I don’t ended up having a blood sugar spike and crash. You can change ingredients and quantities to your liking. Add more lime zest if you want it tart. Add chia or grass fed gelatin for more protein. The varieties are endless and that is the beauty of making smoothies
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon cold pressed/virgin coconut oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops liquid stevia or 1 Tbsp honey or maple
- Ice (4-8 cubes)
- Combine all the ingredients but the ice and blend for about 15-30 seconds.
- Add the ice and blend until smooth. Pour and Enjoy!
- Add more lime zest if you want it tart. Add chia or grass fed gelatin for more protein.