I have had this salad in my recipe archive for some time and it somehow kept getting pushed back in being posted. It is not only one of my favorite salads but also one of my favorite pictures I have taken in a while. Real food is just so beautiful and colorful and I love being able to photograph it.
This salad is really super easy to put together and you can easily exchange any vegetables that are in season. I have been pretty obsessed with blueberries lately. I especially have loved cocoa and blueberries together for some reason. I don’t know why I have never really thought about combining those flavors before. I have a smoothie recipe coming to the blog soon though so keep an eye out for that.
If you have read any of my previous posts you know that I have recently become a fan of “massaged” kale. It really is a great way to tenderize the leaves and bring out more flavors in your salad. If you haven’t tried it than I highly recommend it! It really is a life-changing kale experience!
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ avocado
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Take approximately half the amount of dressing and pour over the chopped kale. Use your hands to kneed/massage the leaves with the dressing until leaves are tender.
- Toss the rest of the ingredients with the salad and serve. Top with more dressing if desired
- This can make two large salads or four side salads.