This is one of my all-time favorite weeknight meals. Grass-fed burgers are kind of a staple in our house because they are delicious and also they are super quick to put together. I came up with a salad version a while back just because I wanted something different and it was a way to utilize all the greens and seasonal produce that was in the house.
Usually we do a mixture of meats with our burgers and this recipe has a ¼ pound of pastured pork in it. It is not required for the recipe but if you haven’t tried it I think you should. It adds some amazing flavor to the burger. We usually just top the salad with Dijon and hot sauce because that is what we put on our burgers. However, you can really add any of your favorite toppings. I do highly recommend some Farmhouse Culture kraut on top though. We usually get the dill or jalapeno and the flavors are beyond amazing!
- 1lb grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ lb hot pork sausage
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp Dijon
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat a grill to 450. Combine all the burger ingredients in a bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Divide the batter in to 4 large patties. Place on the grill and cook about three minutes per a side and then use a meat thermometer to check if they are cooked to your personal preference
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a bowl and toss together.
- Divide among four large bowls or plates. Pour one tablespoon of Dijon and one teaspoon of hot sauce on the salad and top with the grilled burger.
- If you don’t have a grill I would recommend a cast iron skillet to cook the burger. You will need to increase cooking time to about five minutes a side and then temp it