I have a slight obsession with red cabbage that started about a year ago. I am not really sure what happened but all of the sudden it became one of my favorite vegetables. I just think it is such a versatile vegetable. It is good steamed, roasted, raw or even grilled. Have you seen my cabbage steak recipe?
I have had a craving lately for red cabbage, orange and avocado. It sounded like a magical combination and I finally put it all together this past weekend and it was better that I imagined. It was so delicious that I HAD to shoot and post it for you all.
This salad can be thrown together quickly and a perfect side dish for warmer weather!
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lime juice (approximately one lime)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Shred the cabbage with a knife, grater or food processor. Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour half of the dressing on the cabbage and carrots and toss until combined.
- Top the mixture with orange slices and avocado and serve with more dressing if desired.