About two years ago I created a Red Cabbage Steak recipe for a Dinner Party collaboration I did with a friend of mine. At the time I really didn’t think it was a recipe that my audience was going to give much attention to. Well to my surprise, that recipe kind of EXPLODED and to this day it is still one of my most popular recipes. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE these steaks. I just never thought it would be this popular. That is kind of how food blogging seems to work though.
I thought that it was time to create another variation for you all. I decided to include one of my favorite toppings- cilantro pesto! Often times we associate Pesto with basil but really it is great with so many different herbs and greens. My personal favorite is the combination of cilantro and spinach.
Rarely do I use pine nuts in my pesto. I do really like the flavor but they are fairly expensive and just not something I use very often. I usually substitute another nut like pecans, hazelnuts or almonds. It gives really good flavor and texture and more than likely it is something that is already in your pantry.
Red cabbage steaks are such a great dish to make with any meal and amazing for entertaining. You can easily make the cilantro pesto ahead of time and garnish just before serving. It seems my brain stopped working about 10 minutes so I am going to just stop talking/typing.
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups cilantro, fresh
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the cabbage steaks ½ inch thick starting from the top all the way through the bottom (leave the core in).
- Lay the ‘steaks’ on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and salt.
- Bake at for 25 minutes or until softened and slightly crispy.
- While the steaks are cooking prepare the cilantro pesto. Add the cilantro, spinach, garlic and pecans to a food processor or blender and puree until finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar and lime juice and blend until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Top the red cabbage steaks with cilantro pesto and serve immediately.