I feel a little weird posting another beet recipe since I did last week but this is just SO GOOD and I need to share in immediately. I have told you before that I used to not really like beets very much. Over the past year I have started to really enjoy them. I think starting with the golden ones and working my way to the red was really was got me to enjoy them.
I am honestly not sure what inspired this recipe because it was my first beet salad but think it was just a combination of all these wonderful ingredients we got at the farmers market.
I really love brining you all recipes that stem from seasonal items. It doesn’t always happen but I do really strive to cook with what’s in season. It really does allow you to support local farms and also eat tastier and healthier food!
I have been debating writing a post on how to use all the ingredients in your CSA basket. I am not sure if I can put it in to words but if that is something you would like to hear about then definitely leave me a comment.
Back to the salad – this is a great dish to make and have in the refrigerator for a healthy snack or meal. I would recommend doubling it if you are going to feed a large crowd. Feel free to use your favorite variety of beets. I did a combination of Golden and Chioggia. The dressing is seriously amazing. I could put this stuff on everything (and I have been). I do sometimes have some dressing left over but I find that the salad soaks it up so it is nice to have a little extra if it gets dry. Feel free to use as much as you prefer.
Go to your market this weekend and grab some beets and tomatoes! Trust me – you will be glad you did!
- 4-5 medium beets, I used golden and chioggia
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, sliced (I like to use a vegetable peeler)
- 1 cup cherry tomato, halved
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the beets and slice about ¼ inch thick (I like to use a mandolin). Lay them on the baking sheet and sprinkle the salt and drizzle the olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool to room temperature.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar and place a lid on top and shake until combined.
- Add the beets, carrots, cherry tomatoes and pecans to a bowl and toss with about half the dressing (see notes).
- Let the salad set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes and then add more dressing if desired.
- I do sometimes have some dressing left over but I find that the salad soaks it up so it is nice to have a little extra if it gets dry. Feel free to use as much as you prefer.