Romaine Salad with Roasted Tomatillo Dressing is such a great dish for this August heat. I have a serious love for tomatillos and all the magical things these little green tomatoes can do.
Tomatillos are great for making salsa, sauces and dressings. They have a very bright, acidic, sweet and complex flavor that pairs well so many different flavors. This dressing is not just good for salad. It can be put on any chicken, steak, grilled veggies etc. Trust me, once you try it you probably will just want to put it on everything.
This dressing recipe is written for using the grill to roast the ingredients but I do have instructions for how to do it in the oven. If you have a choice though I would definitely say that the grill is the way to go. It adds a little smokiness to the dressing that is super nice.
You may remember the Quick Spicy Pickled Onion recipe I posted last week. Well those were originally created for this salad but I decided to just give them their own separate post because they are SO good. Also, pretty much the most magical combination with this roasted tomatillo dressing.
- ½ pound tomatillos, husks removed (approximately 6)
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup cilantro, fresh
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4-5 cups romaine, chopped
- 1 cup spicy pickled onions>
- ½ large cucumber, sliced
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup shaved Romano cheese, optional
- Preheat grill to 450 and roast tomatillos and jalapeno for about 3-4 minutes and then rotate and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove for the grill and then place the green onions on and quickly sear the outside of the onions for about a minute a side.
- Place the jalapeno in a bag to sweat the skin for about five minutes. Scrape off the charred skin with a knife and then remove the seeds.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine the romaine, pickled onions, cucumber, pecans and romano cheese in a large bowl and toss with the desired amount of dressing and serve.
- You can roast the dressing ingredients in the oven. Just line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place them on that to roast. I find that it takes a couple more minutes roasting them in the oven.