Breakfast becomes very mundane to me. During the work week I don’t have a lot of time to fix breakfast and get out the door on time. This recipe was created by using some seasonal winter vegetables and just wanting to have something different for breakfast. I usually make this an egg-less hash for me and put a fried egg on top for my husband.
I used bacon for this recipe but you could definitely leave it out or use sausage, pulled pork or brisket. It’s a simple, quick and unique breakfast if you are looking for something different.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 Tbls chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan and set aside. You can either use the bacon grease to cook the hash or clean out the pan.
- Heat the oil to medium/high heat and throw in the squash, onion, apple, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover the pan and sauté the hash for ten minutes.
- Add the spinach and fresh cilantro and cook for about 3 more minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Top the hash with the chopped bacon. Throw a fried egg on top or just eat it as is!
- Sweet potato also makes a great substitute for the squash.
Top with a fried egg if you like!