This three pepper butternut squash chicken chili has become a staple in our house. We love soup and it doesn’t matter how hot or cold it is outside. We will eat it all year long. I love that we can eat a batch for several days and the flavor only gets better with each day. This soup is perfect for a large group of people. I actually originally created this recipe for a tailgating menu because soup is the perfect dish to feed a crowd. Also, when you have people over you don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen all night. You want to be able to join the fun. You can easily double this recipe to feed a large crowd but a single batch should feed about six people.
Feel free to change up the peppers in this recipe and include some of your favorites. You can also remove the jalapeno if you don’t like much spice in your soup. I also highly recommend that you include some delicious toppings. They add so much flavor to this dish. My personal favorites are some chopped up cilantro, avocado and a good salsa.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion (approximately 1/2 a large onion)
- 1 cup chopped poblano pepper (approximately 2 medium peppers)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (approximately 1 large pepper)
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups bone broth/stock
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and sauté the onions and peppers for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and let the soup simmer for 20-25 or until the squash is softened.
- Lastly, add the cooked, shredded chicken and simmer for 2-3 more minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $43.80Was: $57.48