Vanilla Almond Butter Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Banana Bark may be the best ice cream I have made in a really long time. Actually, I am going to go ahead and scratch that because I know it is the best I have made yet.
My sister is actually the dairy-free ice cream pro in my family. I am not really sure what she does but she literally makes the best ice cream ever. I realize you don’t know her and you haven’t had her ice cream but she gave this recipe rave reviews so…there’s that.
I really love banana and ice cream but it can easily take over the flavor of ice cream if it isn’t balanced correctly. Banana always reminds me of that person at a party who always has to let everyone know they are there. Don’t get me wrong – everyone loves that person but you always know they are in the room and they have a way of getting in to every conversation. Well I found a way to make banana a little less overwhelming at this ice cream party.
I decided to basically make a banana chocolate bark that has almond butter drizzled on top of the bananas and layered with more chocolate. The bark is then chopped in to pieces and then half gets folded in to the batter and the other half gets used for additional topping when being served. You also just have the option of eating it straight out of the freezer which I may or may not have done.
I am going to talk about the ice cream batter for a minute and even if you haven’t read the rest of the post you definitely need to READ THIS PART because it is a game changer. Date Lady! Have you heard of this company? They make a myriad of products all from dates. For example – date caramel, date fudge, date sugar and vinegar. Well they literally have the best dates I have ever tasted. You know how when you buy dates at the store they are like tough and chewy? You put them in your food processor or blender and you swear that they just broke all your appliances. Well….NOT THESE. They are SO soft that they basically taste like soft caramels. These dates blended beautifully in this ice cream and give the creamiest texture I have never gotten in a coconut milk ice cream. I can’t recommend these dates enough. So go grab yourself a bag HERE because they are a serious game changer.
I hope you all enjoy a fun summer ice cream treat. Enjoy!
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 2 cups bananas, diced (approximately 2 bananas)
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 ounces dates, pitted (I used Date Lady – game changer)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 whole vanilla bean, scrapings
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and pour half the chocolate on the bottom.
- Add the chopped bananas and drizzle the almond butter and then cover with the rest of the chocolate. You may need to use a knife to spread the chocolate.
- Place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
- Place the coconut milk, dates, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla bean scrapings, cinnamon and salt in a high-speed blender. Blend until mixture is smooth and then pour in to your ice cream maker and follow according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is done place it in a large glass dish or tupperware.
- Take the chocolate banana bark and chop it in to bite size pieces and mix half of it in to the ice cream. Place the rest of the bark in the freezer for later use.
- Let the ice cream freeze until no longer soft serve. Add more chocolate bark on to each ice cream dish before serving.
- I use this ice cream maker to make this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $25.68Was: $28.68