I really can’t get enough of this Vegan Curried, Lentil Kale Stew these days. It has been the perfect dish to make on the cold winter nights. It is also packed full of flavor and so many nutrient dense ingredients like curry, kale, whole tomatoes, creamy coconut and flavorful cilantro.
Lately I have only been wanting really spice heavy dishes like these curried lentils. I think it is because it has been so cold and all those spices warm me from the inside. You seriously would not believe how much golden milk I have been drinking lately. Side note – I ordered some ground turmeric on amazon the other day and totally didn’t pay attention to the size bag I ordered. Um…16oz of ground turmeric is A LOT! I seriously don’t think I will run out of that spice for years. Anyway..
This vegan dish really is so incredibly easy to make and highly affordable since lentils are the base protein. We can all use more affordable recipes right? I have made curried lentils in the past but I wanted to create a heartier stew with more vegetables and broth. So this curried lentil, kale and tomato stew recipe was born.The hearty lentils pair perfectly with the aromatic curry, acidic tomatoes and creamy coconut milk. This stew is seriously perfection and filled with so many nutrient dense ingredients. It is also vegan AND gluten-free…#winning.
We usually make a batch of this vegan curried lentil, kale stew and eat it throughout the week for lunches and dinner. It really tastes better with each day and reheats easily.
In this recipe, I prefer to use a medium curry so it has a little kick to it but nothing overwhelming. If you don’t prefer much spice I would just use a mild curry.
It looks like winter is still here for a while so I hope you warm up with a batch of this vegan curried lentil kale stew.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots (approximately 3 carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp yellow curry powder (I prefer medium)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 28 ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- Fresh cilantro
- Coconut milk
- Heat a dutch oven or soup pot to medium high heat and add the oil. Once hot add the onions and carrots and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, curry and salt. Cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and stir. Then pour in the canned tomatoes and use a spoon to chop up the tomatoes until they are about 1 inch in size.
- Add the broth and coconut milk and stir to combine. Place a lid on the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off and add the chopped kale and cilantro. Let simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes with the lid off to thicken.
- Taste and adjust salt if necessary before serving. Top each bowl of stew with rice, lime, cilantro and coconut milk.
Products from Amazon.com‹ ›